Colin and Dan from WeWillFixIt.com are in the studio and they are offering advice on all your home repair and this week they are helping with a great bird feeder table project.
Project Bird Table
- Materials- Get as much as you can either pre-cut at the shop you buy the wood from or adapt the design to use offcuts.
- Materials List:
- Most Basic Possible:
- Flat MDF or ply flat table- 18mm ideal. 50cm x 50cm approx.
- Single Post – Approx 10cm x10cm single post. 1.2m long ideal.
- 2cmx 2cm edging material x 2m (to stop the bird food falling off)
- Pencil & Long ruler (or straight edge).
- Tape measure
- Drill with 3mm drillbit & 80mm or more wood screws x 3.
- Pins- small nails & hammer.
- Wood glue- optional
- Preservative- 1 litre
How Long To Do: Max 1hr. 30 mins if you are handy.
Cost- If you can find offcuts- Under 100dhs. Enough spare material for the neighbourhood- 200dhs top (purchasing in sheets & lengths)
Expertise Level- I made with my cub group when I was 6 years old.
- Turn the square MDF upside down & draw a line from one corner diagonally to the other & repeat. This gives you the centre. Do the same on one end of your post.
- Drill the centres where the lines intersect with the wood screw to an approx. depth of 5cm & 3 cm up and down one of the lines. 3 holes
- Turn over the MDF & place screw in the centre hole & line it up with the hole in the centre of the post. Screw it in.
- Line up the corners of the square post with the lines you drew on the underside before putting in the other 2 screws.
- The edging material is going on the topside to stop the bird feed falling off when the crazy birds start pecking!
- Attach the batons to the 4 sides using the small nails (pins) & you are done.
- Dig a hole to site your bird table ideally not too close to a wall or tree which could leave the birds at risk from cats.
Tips & Tricks- KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid! To make your bird table last longer and look visually better why not give it a quick coat of preservative or paint?
You want to go crazy? Use the edging on all 4 corners along with some more MDF to make a roof. Bird box?