This week it was all about genetics and genetic testing with Genetic Counselor Sonika Sachanandani-Phulwani.
It was interesting to learn that there may even be dietary reasons we want to have genetic testing BUT even the genetic counselor was not sold on the idea yet.
The cancer conversation was very interesting.
Click here for the podcast.
Here are the questions we set out to work through.
- Pre-marital counseling
- Pre-conception counseling
- Pre-natal counseling
- Metabolic, cardio and neuro genetics
- What drew you to this field?
- How do you work with doctors in the clinic?
- What is genetics?
- What is genetic testing and its applications.
- The link between cancer and genetics.
- What are gene mutations?
- How does cancer occur?
- Hereditary vs. Non-hereditary cancer.
- Latest debate: Is there a third factor contributing to cancer?
- Prevention and Management through Early detection and treatment.
- Importance of genetic counseling.
- Case studies.