Zelda Higgins the Fitness Coordinator at Zayed University joins me to talk the bare facts about fitness and health.
You can contact Zelda at email@example.com.
This week we spoke about body image and started to understand that some people want to put on weight and the process is much the same as losing it!
And here is a quick guide to the topics we spoke about.
Love this look at healthy eating!
Dream Big Mural on the outside of the Fitness Center
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Sometimes it's also the hardest meal to put together, especially if you work. Add diabetes to the mix, and figuring out what to eat can be downright impossible.
What are the healthiest choices? Using an online nutrition website, like About.com'sCalorie Count, can make things easier. I researched some breakfast choices using the information from Calorie Count to compare different foods to see which breakfast is the healthiest.
A simple breakfast such as an egg, toast and breakfast meat, can vary greatly in calories, fat grams and carbs. How do different options compare?
A So-so Breakfast:
- 1 fried egg: 90 calories, 7 grams of fat and 0.4 carbs.
- 1 slice cinnamon swirl toast: 170 calories, 2.0 grams of fat and 33 carbs.
- Sausage patty: 230 calories, 22 grams of fat, and 1.0 carbs
This breakfast adds up to 490 calories, 31 grams of fat, 34.4 carbs.
A Good Breakfast:
- 1 poached egg: 71 calories, 5.0 grams of fat, 0.4 carbs
- 1 slice white toast: 64 calories, 0.9 grams of fat, 12.0 carbs
- 3 slices bacon: 103 calories, 7.9 grams of fat, 0.3 carbs
This breakfast adds up to 238 calories, 13.8 grams of fat, 12.7 carbs.
A Better Breakfast:
- 1 serving Egg Beaters: 30 calories, 1.0 grams of fat, 1.0 carbs
- 1 slice whole wheat toast: 87 calories, 1.2 grams of fat, 14.5 carbs (2.6 grams of fiber makes this a better choice than white toast)
- 1 serving turkey bacon: 52 calories, 4.2 grams of fat, 0.3 carbs
This breakfast adds up to 169 calories, 6.4 grams of fat, 15.8 carbs.
The Best Breakfast
- 1 egg white omelet: 16 calories, 0.1 grams of fat, 0.2 carbs
- 1 slice mixed grain toast: 75 calories, 1.2 grams of fat, 12.3 carbs
- 1 slice of ham: 46 calories, 2.4 grams of fat, 1.1 carbs
This breakfast adds up to 137 calories, 3.7 grams of fat, 13.6 carbs.
*If toast is buttered, add 36 calories and 4.1 grams of fat to your breakfast total.
Check out more food choices using Calorie Count, and build more healthful meals.
- Nice lead into this idea you had last week.
Weight Gain section
- weightloss lies!
- How to get out of an exercise rut
- this looks interesting! Obese teens!
- exercise breaks during class time