Students today are cheating their way through their education with great ease and skill.
What does the culture of cheating say about education, students, society even you and I?
I am worried that if our youth cheat through education what hope do we have when it comes to business?
Ways Students Cheat Today
After surveying 350+ UW-Madison students, these are the ways that students admitted to cheating:
- Taping a cheat sheet to a water bottle
- Programming notes into a calculator
- Text messaging exam information
- Writing on hand, arm, or other body part
- Writing on desk
- Sitting on a cheat sheet
- Putting notes on the floor/on your bag
- Looking at another student’s exam
- Buying papers online
- Turning in old papers from fraternity/sorority houses or friends papers
- Turning in the same paper for more than once class
- Having someone who took the test before you tell the student what questions are on the exam
- Copying another student’s homework
- Taking credit for group work that the student did not do
- Altering lab data
- Writing answers on gum wrappers
- Having another friend write a paper or take an exam
With the rise of technology comes news ways to cheat. Below are articles that address regarding technological advances and the classroom.
- Internet gives rise to a bold new era in college-student cheating (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Consumer Technology; Putting Tech to the Test: As students turn to high-tech gadgets to cheat, schools consider turning to high-tech gadgets to stop them (Wall Street Journal, Sep 17, 2004)
- How to stop cheating at universities (Vancouver Sun, Sep 8, 2004)